By Chuck Wendig
An exciting thrill-ride in the course of the underbelly of cyber espionage within the vein of David Ignatius’s The Director and the tv sequence Leverage, CSI: Cyber, and Person of Interest, which follows 5 iconoclastic hackers who're coerced into serving the U.S. government.
An Anonymous-style rabble rouser, an Arab spring hactivist, a black-hat hacker, an old-school cipherpunk, and a web troll are each one provided a decision: visit felony or aid guard the USA, placing their brains and abilities to paintings for the govt for one year.
But being a white-hat doesn’t regularly suggest you're employed for the nice men. The would-be cyberspies observe that backstage lurks a sinister NSA application, a synthetic intelligence code-named Typhon, that has origins and an evolution either risky and anxious. And if it’s no longer introduced down, will quickly be uncontrollable.
Can the hackers break out their federal watchers and confront Typhon and its mysterious writer? And what does the govt really need them to do? in the event that they choose to flip the tables, will their very own secrets and techniques be exposed—and their lives erased like strains of undesirable code?
Combining the scientific-based, propulsive narrative type of Michael Crichton with the eerie surroundings and conspiracy topics of The X-Files and the resourceful, speculative fringe of Neal Stephenson and William Gibson, Zer0es explores our deep-seated fears approximately govt surveillance and hacking in a creative fast moving novel bound to earn Chuck Wendig the frequent acclaim he merits.
Read Online or Download Zeroes: A Novel PDF
Similar suspense books
Now freelancing from south Florida, Dr. Kay Scarpetta returns to Richmond, Virginia, town that became its again on her 5 years in the past. Investigating the dying of a tender lady, she needs to stick to the twisting leads and tune the unusual information with a view to make the useless speak-and to bare the sorrowful fact that could be greater than even she will undergo.
A farmhouse destroyed through fire
A physique among the ruins
Dr Kay Scarpetta, leader health worker and consulting pathologist for the federal legislations enforcement enterprise ATF, is termed out to a farmhouse in Virginia which has been destroyed through fireplace. within the ruins of the home she reveals a physique which tells a narrative of a violent and grisly murder.
The fireplace has come whilst one other much more incendiary horror: Carrie Grethen, a killer who approximately destroyed the lives of Scarpetta and people closest to her, has escaped from a forensic psychiatric medical institution. Her whereabouts is unknown, yet her final vacation spot isn't, for Carrie has all started to speak with Scarpetta, conveying her lethal - if cryptic - plans for revenge.
Chillingly mesmeric in tone, labyrinthine in constitution, aspect of beginning is Patricia Cornwell at her so much fantastic.
A mystery govt unit, a gaggle of renegade paranormal investigators. .. and a homicide not anyone else can crack
Though haunted via the new deaths of 2 teammates, Jackson Crow is aware that the dwelling devote the main heinous crimes.
A police officer using her paranormal instinct, Angela Hawkins already has her arms choked with secret and bloodshed.
But one task calls to them too strongly to withstand. In a ancient mansion in New Orleans's French zone, a senator's spouse falls to her loss of life. such a lot imagine she jumped; a few say she was once driven. And but others think she was once beckoned through the ghostly spirits inhabiting the house--once the location of a serial killer's grisly work.
In this likely unsolvable case, just one factor is sure: no matter if supernatural or all too human, crimes of ardour will forged Jackson and Angela into hazard of wasting their lives. .. and their immortal souls.
· In Portland, Oregon, the other halves of numerous well known businessmen have disappeared and not using a hint, abandoning just a black rose and a word with an easy message: "Gone, yet no longer Forgotten. "
· a similar sequence of disappearances happened in Hunter's element, ny, ten years ago--but the killer was once stuck, the case was once closed and the specified "rose killer" job strength used to be disbanded.
· Betsy Tannenbaum, a Portland spouse and mom who has received nationwide popularity as a feminist safety lawyer, is retained by way of multimillionaire Portland developer Martin Darius--for no obvious reason.
· Nancy Gordon, a murder detective for the Hunter's aspect Police division and an unique member of the "rose killer" activity strength, hasn't slept an entire evening in ten years, haunted by means of nightmares of a sadistic killer who, she swears, continues to be available in the market. . .
· Alan web page, the Portland district lawyer, attempting to make experience of the surprising sequence of disappearances, opens his entrance door one night to discover Nancy Gordon on his doorstep--determined to inform him a narrative he won't quickly forget.
· around the state, in Washington, D. C. , the President of the us has simply chosen usa Senator Raymond Colby to be the subsequent leader Justice of the splendid courtroom. In a personal assembly, Colby assures the President there are not any skeletons in his closet.
- After the Storm (Kate Burkholder, Book 7)
- Sniper's Moon
- Fire and Ice (Joanna Brady, Book 14)
- For Your Eyes Only (James Bond Series, Book 8)
- The Accident
Extra info for Zeroes: A Novel
De Sade turned. One of the smart suits stood there, the guy. “And you’d want to know because, why? ” The man smiled and produced his badge. “FBI Special Agent Davies, New York Field Office. ” De Sade knew he was on shaky ground if it came to a jurisdictional fight, serial killings often became the province of the FBI. Davies understood the situation too. ” That was encouraging, de Sade thought. So what did they really want? The second victim, Emily Johannsen had pointed them in the direction of a Russian connection.
Agent Ward mentioned it earlier. You’re suggesting that he signs his own signature to the murders, that’s quite a jump. Kind of like holding up his hand and saying ‘look, everybody, this is my handiwork’. It’s too pat, too easy. ” “Wait until you meet him, he’s an arrogant son of a bitch. He thinks he’s cleverer than all of us, he can do whatever he wants. Look at Dennis Rader, another arrogant SOB, he was undone by his arrogance. ” De Sade remembered the case. Rader couldn’t stand someone else taking his credit.
It also worked away some of the tension of the day. De Sade finished off with a hard twenty minutes on the treadmill and rinsed off the last of the day’s woes in an ice-cold shower. Then he settled in his armchair with a book and another Schneider Kristall beer. It was a book about chess, or rather about a chess player. It was time to beat Samuel Aaronssen at his own game, maybe Fischer had some tips for him. The book was entitled ‘Endgame, Bobby Fischer’s Remarkable Rise and Fall’. Supposedly it unlocked the mind of the chess wizard, what made the eccentric genius tick and more importantly, what his winning secrets were.