By Michael Harvey
Chicago cop grew to become inner most investigator Michael Kelly is racing to avoid wasting his urban from a perilous new foe: a organic weapon unleashed underground.
When a lightbulb falls in a subway tunnel, it releases a pathogen which may kill thousands. whereas the mayor postures, humans start to die, particularly at the city's grim West aspect. Hospitals develop into morgues. L trains are switched over into rolling hearses. eventually, the govt acts, sealing off whole sections of the city--but are they maintaining humans out or in? in the meantime, Michael Kelly's hunt for the folks who poisoned his urban takes him into the tangled underworld of Chicago's West part gangs and the much more scary international of black biology--an elite self-discipline rising from the nation's most effective labs, the place scientists play God and should cease at not anything to maintain their secrecy.
It's a courageous new international . . . and the main audacious page-turner but from an rising smooth master.
From the Hardcover edition.
Read or Download We All Fall Down PDF
Best suspense books
Now freelancing from south Florida, Dr. Kay Scarpetta returns to Richmond, Virginia, the town that became its again on her 5 years in the past. Investigating the loss of life of a tender woman, she needs to stick to the twisting leads and music the unusual info which will make the useless speak-and to bare the sorrowful fact which may be greater than even she will undergo.
A farmhouse destroyed through fire
A physique among the ruins
Dr Kay Scarpetta, leader health worker and consulting pathologist for the federal legislations enforcement company ATF, is termed out to a farmhouse in Virginia which has been destroyed by way of hearth. within the ruins of the home she unearths a physique which tells a narrative of a violent and grisly murder.
The fireplace has come whilst one other much more incendiary horror: Carrie Grethen, a killer who approximately destroyed the lives of Scarpetta and people closest to her, has escaped from a forensic psychiatric health facility. Her whereabouts is unknown, yet her final vacation spot isn't really, for Carrie has all started to speak with Scarpetta, conveying her lethal - if cryptic - plans for revenge.
Chillingly mesmeric in tone, labyrinthine in constitution, aspect of starting place is Patricia Cornwell at her so much astounding.
A mystery govt unit, a gaggle of renegade paranormal investigators. .. and a homicide not anyone else can crack
Though haunted via the new deaths of 2 teammates, Jackson Crow understands that the residing devote the main heinous crimes.
A police officer using her paranormal instinct, Angela Hawkins already has her fingers choked with secret and bloodshed.
But one task calls to them too strongly to withstand. In a historical mansion in New Orleans's French zone, a senator's spouse falls to her demise. such a lot imagine she jumped; a few say she used to be driven. And but others think she used to be beckoned through the ghostly spirits inhabiting the house--once the positioning of a serial killer's grisly work.
In this probably unsolvable case, just one factor is sure: no matter if supernatural or all too human, crimes of ardour will solid Jackson and Angela into probability of wasting their lives. .. and their immortal souls.
· In Portland, Oregon, the better halves of numerous fashionable businessmen have disappeared and not using a hint, forsaking just a black rose and a notice with an easy message: "Gone, yet now not Forgotten. "
· the same sequence of disappearances happened in Hunter's aspect, big apple, ten years ago--but the killer used to be stuck, the case was once closed and the detailed "rose killer" activity strength was once disbanded.
· Betsy Tannenbaum, a Portland spouse and mom who has received nationwide popularity as a feminist safeguard legal professional, is retained via multimillionaire Portland developer Martin Darius--for no obvious reason.
· Nancy Gordon, a murder detective for the Hunter's aspect Police division and an unique member of the "rose killer" job strength, hasn't slept an entire evening in ten years, haunted by means of nightmares of a sadistic killer who, she swears, continues to be in the market. . .
· Alan web page, the Portland district legal professional, attempting to make experience of the surprising sequence of disappearances, opens his entrance door one night to discover Nancy Gordon on his doorstep--determined to inform him a narrative he won't quickly forget.
· around the nation, in Washington, D. C. , the President of the U.S. has simply chosen usa Senator Raymond Colby to be the following leader Justice of the ideally suited court docket. In a personal assembly, Colby assures the President there aren't any skeletons in his closet.
Additional info for We All Fall Down
Don't bet on it," one of his buddies called, laughing. The Babe Man good-naturedly gave him the finger then turned back to Sachs. Which is when her pager beeped and she looked down to see Lincoln Rhyme's number on the screen. The word "URGENT" appeared after it. "Gotta go," she said. " he asked, a fake pout on his handsome face. " She made a pistol with her index finger and thumb and aimed it at him. "Bang, bang," she said. And trotted toward her yellow Camaro. Chapter Three This is a school?
Okay, Officer," he said, "we'll write up our results and they'll be attached to your review. " Consulting his notebook. "Your threat assessment regarding civilians and officers was perfect. Calls for backup were timely and appropriate. Your deployment of personnel negated any chance the perpetrators would escape from the containment situation and yet minimized exposure. You called the illegal drug search right. And getting the personal information from the one suspect for the hostage negotiator was a nice touch.
He leaned closer to the woman, squinting, wondering if he could see some essence, some spirit rising from her body. He didn't. He straightened up, considering what else he might do to the still form in front of him. • • • You’re sure it was screaming? No," the security guard said. "Maybe not screaming, you know. Shouting. Upset. For just a second or two. " The heavy guard, breathing hard, glanced at the tall, brunette policewoman, shook his head and flexed and opened his huge hands. He wiped his dark palms on his blue slacks.