By Elisabeth de Mariaffi
The satan you recognize is an exhilarating debut a few rookie reporter, whose thoughts of the homicide of her formative years ally convey danger—and a stalker—right to her doorstep.
The yr is 1993. Rookie crime beat reporter Evie Jones is haunted by means of the unsolved homicide of her ally Lianne Gagnon who used to be killed in 1982, again while either ladies have been 11. The suspected killer, a repeat criminal named Robert Cameron, used to be by no means arrested, leaving Lianne’s case cold.
Now twenty-one and residing on my own for the 1st time, Evie is obsessively interested in checking out what quite occurred to Lianne. She leans on one other adolescence pal, David Patton, for help—but each clue they discover turns out to guide to an incredible end. As she will get nearer and towards the reality, Evie turns into confident that the killer continues to be at large—and that he’s coming again for her.
From seriously acclaimed writer Elisabeth de Mariaffi comes a spine-tingling debut approximately secrets and techniques lengthy buried and obsession that can not be managed.
Read Online or Download The Devil You Know: A Novel PDF
Similar suspense books
Now freelancing from south Florida, Dr. Kay Scarpetta returns to Richmond, Virginia, the town that became its again on her 5 years in the past. Investigating the loss of life of a tender woman, she needs to stick with the twisting leads and tune the unusual info with a view to make the lifeless speak-and to bare the unhappy fact which may be greater than even she will be able to endure.
A farmhouse destroyed by way of fire
A physique among the ruins
Dr Kay Scarpetta, leader medical expert and consulting pathologist for the federal legislation enforcement employer ATF, is termed out to a farmhouse in Virginia which has been destroyed through fireplace. within the ruins of the home she unearths a physique which tells a narrative of a violent and grisly murder.
The fireplace has come whilst one other much more incendiary horror: Carrie Grethen, a killer who approximately destroyed the lives of Scarpetta and people closest to her, has escaped from a forensic psychiatric sanatorium. Her whereabouts is unknown, yet her final vacation spot isn't really, for Carrie has began to speak with Scarpetta, conveying her lethal - if cryptic - plans for revenge.
Chillingly mesmeric in tone, labyrinthine in constitution, aspect of starting place is Patricia Cornwell at her such a lot wonderful.
A mystery executive unit, a bunch of renegade paranormal investigators. .. and a homicide nobody else can crack
Though haunted by means of the new deaths of 2 teammates, Jackson Crow understands that the residing dedicate the main heinous crimes.
A police officer using her paranormal instinct, Angela Hawkins already has her palms jam-packed with secret and bloodshed.
But one project calls to them too strongly to withstand. In a historical mansion in New Orleans's French region, a senator's spouse falls to her loss of life. so much imagine she jumped; a few say she was once driven. And but others think she used to be beckoned through the ghostly spirits inhabiting the house--once the positioning of a serial killer's grisly work.
In this likely unsolvable case, just one factor is sure: no matter if supernatural or all too human, crimes of ardour will forged Jackson and Angela into possibility of wasting their lives. .. and their immortal souls.
· In Portland, Oregon, the other halves of a number of favorite businessmen have disappeared with no hint, forsaking just a black rose and a notice with an easy message: "Gone, yet now not Forgotten. "
· the same sequence of disappearances happened in Hunter's element, manhattan, ten years ago--but the killer was once stuck, the case used to be closed and the specific "rose killer" activity strength was once disbanded.
· Betsy Tannenbaum, a Portland spouse and mom who has received nationwide reputation as a feminist safeguard lawyer, is retained through multimillionaire Portland developer Martin Darius--for no obvious reason.
· Nancy Gordon, a murder detective for the Hunter's aspect Police division and an unique member of the "rose killer" activity strength, hasn't slept an entire evening in ten years, haunted by means of nightmares of a sadistic killer who, she swears, remains to be in the market. . .
· Alan web page, the Portland district legal professional, attempting to make feel of the surprising sequence of disappearances, opens his entrance door one night to discover Nancy Gordon on his doorstep--determined to inform him a narrative he won't quickly forget.
· around the kingdom, in Washington, D. C. , the President of the us has simply chosen usa Senator Raymond Colby to be the following leader Justice of the excellent court docket. In a personal assembly, Colby assures the President there aren't any skeletons in his closet.
- The Golden Gate
- Mistress of Justice
- A Single Shot
- The Bad Place
- The Tesseract
- For Your Eyes Only (James Bond Series, Book 8)
Additional resources for The Devil You Know: A Novel
The gold I got out of Sam Hegg's mine ain't been more than about a hun- 45 How to Write a Damn Good Mystery 46 dred and fifty grand, total, and that ain't no lie. But I've been real careful not to do anything stupid like spend a lot in one place. I sell the nuggets off as I go— telling people I bought them at the bar off guys who bring it in. I'm content, a happy man. I blow my cool and have to beat the crap out of somebody once in a while when I'm acting as a deputy, or in the bar with some drunk, but most of the time I keep a lid on my temper.
I've been in the writing racket for a few decades now and, the horrible truth is, I've never been able to figure out what editors will find mildly interesting story-wise, let alone what will make them flip. I've heard other writers, agents, and even editors say that they know this trend is hot, this other trend is not; that Ideas to Get You Started small-town mysteries, say, are in, hard-boiled are out; that cross-genre books or some such are the next trend, the wave of the future. It's all a bunch of pap.
31 32 How to Write a Damn Good Mystery O u r murderer will be evil. We know a murderer is a mythic "evil one" and an evil one always acts out of his or her own self-interest. An evil one is the golden star at the center of his or her own universe. Our murderer will be self ish. Sure, we've all read books in which the murderer does the deed for a good cause, heroically, but this motif almost always results in a weak climax. " If the murderer is not acting out of his or her own self-interest and instead is self-sacrificing and acting heroically, the reader is robbed of this satisfaction, which is, after all, one of the principal reasons the reader bought the book in the first place.