By Nora Roberts
Retail ePub from OverDrive
Haunted by way of ghostly visions from a century previous, Declan Fitzgerald is interested in his attractive neighbor, Angelina. yet because the ardour among them grows, their destiny jointly is determined by uncovering a mystery from the earlier as darkish and deep because the bayou.
Read or Download Midnight Bayou PDF
Similar suspense books
Now freelancing from south Florida, Dr. Kay Scarpetta returns to Richmond, Virginia, the town that became its again on her 5 years in the past. Investigating the demise of a tender woman, she needs to persist with the twisting leads and song the unusual info with the intention to make the lifeless speak-and to bare the unhappy fact that could be greater than even she will be able to undergo.
A farmhouse destroyed by way of fire
A physique among the ruins
Dr Kay Scarpetta, leader medical expert and consulting pathologist for the federal legislation enforcement supplier ATF, is termed out to a farmhouse in Virginia which has been destroyed by way of fireplace. within the ruins of the home she reveals a physique which tells a narrative of a violent and grisly murder.
The hearth has come even as one other much more incendiary horror: Carrie Grethen, a killer who approximately destroyed the lives of Scarpetta and people closest to her, has escaped from a forensic psychiatric medical institution. Her whereabouts is unknown, yet her final vacation spot isn't really, for Carrie has started to speak with Scarpetta, conveying her lethal - if cryptic - plans for revenge.
Chillingly mesmeric in tone, labyrinthine in constitution, aspect of starting place is Patricia Cornwell at her such a lot extraordinary.
A mystery executive unit, a bunch of renegade paranormal investigators. .. and a homicide not anyone else can crack
Though haunted via the new deaths of 2 teammates, Jackson Crow understands that the residing devote the main heinous crimes.
A police officer using her paranormal instinct, Angela Hawkins already has her fingers filled with secret and bloodshed.
But one project calls to them too strongly to withstand. In a historical mansion in New Orleans's French sector, a senator's spouse falls to her demise. so much imagine she jumped; a few say she was once driven. And but others think she used to be beckoned by means of the ghostly spirits inhabiting the house--once the positioning of a serial killer's grisly work.
In this doubtless unsolvable case, just one factor is sure: even if supernatural or all too human, crimes of ardour will forged Jackson and Angela into risk of wasting their lives. .. and their immortal souls.
· In Portland, Oregon, the better halves of a number of popular businessmen have disappeared with out a hint, forsaking just a black rose and a be aware with an easy message: "Gone, yet now not Forgotten. "
· the same sequence of disappearances happened in Hunter's aspect, ny, ten years ago--but the killer used to be stuck, the case used to be closed and the specific "rose killer" job strength was once disbanded.
· Betsy Tannenbaum, a Portland spouse and mom who has won nationwide popularity as a feminist safeguard legal professional, is retained by way of multimillionaire Portland developer Martin Darius--for no obvious reason.
· Nancy Gordon, a murder detective for the Hunter's element Police division and an unique member of the "rose killer" activity strength, hasn't slept a whole evening in ten years, haunted by way of nightmares of a sadistic killer who, she swears, remains to be available in the market. . .
· Alan web page, the Portland district lawyer, attempting to make experience of the surprising sequence of disappearances, opens his entrance door one night to discover Nancy Gordon on his doorstep--determined to inform him a narrative he won't quickly forget.
· around the kingdom, in Washington, D. C. , the President of the us has simply chosen usa Senator Raymond Colby to be the following leader Justice of the perfect courtroom. In a personal assembly, Colby assures the President there are not any skeletons in his closet.
- Cam Girl
- The Terra Cotta Dog (Inspector Montalbano, Book 2)
- Angels Fall
- Cold Blooded (New Orleans, Book 2)
- Fell of Dark
Extra resources for Midnight Bayou
The gold I got out of Sam Hegg's mine ain't been more than about a hun- 45 How to Write a Damn Good Mystery 46 dred and fifty grand, total, and that ain't no lie. But I've been real careful not to do anything stupid like spend a lot in one place. I sell the nuggets off as I go— telling people I bought them at the bar off guys who bring it in. I'm content, a happy man. I blow my cool and have to beat the crap out of somebody once in a while when I'm acting as a deputy, or in the bar with some drunk, but most of the time I keep a lid on my temper.
I've been in the writing racket for a few decades now and, the horrible truth is, I've never been able to figure out what editors will find mildly interesting story-wise, let alone what will make them flip. I've heard other writers, agents, and even editors say that they know this trend is hot, this other trend is not; that Ideas to Get You Started small-town mysteries, say, are in, hard-boiled are out; that cross-genre books or some such are the next trend, the wave of the future. It's all a bunch of pap.
31 32 How to Write a Damn Good Mystery O u r murderer will be evil. We know a murderer is a mythic "evil one" and an evil one always acts out of his or her own self-interest. An evil one is the golden star at the center of his or her own universe. Our murderer will be self ish. Sure, we've all read books in which the murderer does the deed for a good cause, heroically, but this motif almost always results in a weak climax. " If the murderer is not acting out of his or her own self-interest and instead is self-sacrificing and acting heroically, the reader is robbed of this satisfaction, which is, after all, one of the principal reasons the reader bought the book in the first place.