By Megan Abbott
Addy Hanlon has regularly been Beth Cassidy's ally and depended on lieutenant. Beth calls the pictures and Addy consists of them out, a common order of items that has introduced them to the top in their high-school careers. Now they're seniors who rule the intensely aggressive cheer squad, feared and by way of the opposite ladies -- until eventually the younger new trainer arrives.
Cool and commanding, an emissary from the grownup international simply past their succeed in, trainer Colette French attracts Addy and the opposite cheerleaders into her lifestyles. merely Beth, unsettled by way of the hot regime, is still outdoors Coach's golden circle, waging a sophisticated yet vicious crusade to regain her place as "top girl" -- either with the group and with Addy herself.
Then a suicide focuses a police research on trainer and her squad. After the 1st wave of concern and grief, Addy attempts to discover the reality in the back of the dying -- and learns that the boundary among loyalty and love might be risky terrain.
The uncooked passions of girlhood are dropped at lifestyles during this taut, unflinching exploration of friendship, ambition, and gear. Award-winning novelist Megan Abbott, writing with what Tom Perrotta has hailed as "total authority and a nearly determined intensity," presents a harrowing glimpse into the darkish center of the all-American girl.
Anthony Award Nominee for top Novel (2013)
Read or Download Dare Me: A Novel PDF
Similar suspense books
Now freelancing from south Florida, Dr. Kay Scarpetta returns to Richmond, Virginia, the town that grew to become its again on her 5 years in the past. Investigating the demise of a tender lady, she needs to persist with the twisting leads and song the unusual info so that it will make the useless speak-and to bare the sorrowful fact which may be greater than even she will be able to undergo.
A farmhouse destroyed by way of fire
A physique among the ruins
Dr Kay Scarpetta, leader health worker and consulting pathologist for the federal legislations enforcement business enterprise ATF, is termed out to a farmhouse in Virginia which has been destroyed by means of fireplace. within the ruins of the home she reveals a physique which tells a narrative of a violent and grisly murder.
The hearth has come even as one other much more incendiary horror: Carrie Grethen, a killer who approximately destroyed the lives of Scarpetta and people closest to her, has escaped from a forensic psychiatric sanatorium. Her whereabouts is unknown, yet her final vacation spot isn't, for Carrie has started to speak with Scarpetta, conveying her lethal - if cryptic - plans for revenge.
Chillingly mesmeric in tone, labyrinthine in constitution, element of foundation is Patricia Cornwell at her such a lot unbelievable.
A mystery executive unit, a bunch of renegade paranormal investigators. .. and a homicide not anyone else can crack
Though haunted through the hot deaths of 2 teammates, Jackson Crow understands that the residing dedicate the main heinous crimes.
A police officer using her paranormal instinct, Angela Hawkins already has her palms filled with secret and bloodshed.
But one task calls to them too strongly to withstand. In a ancient mansion in New Orleans's French sector, a senator's spouse falls to her demise. so much imagine she jumped; a few say she used to be driven. And but others think she was once beckoned by way of the ghostly spirits inhabiting the house--once the positioning of a serial killer's grisly work.
In this probably unsolvable case, just one factor is bound: even if supernatural or all too human, crimes of ardour will forged Jackson and Angela into risk of wasting their lives. .. and their immortal souls.
· In Portland, Oregon, the better halves of a number of favorite businessmen have disappeared with out a hint, abandoning just a black rose and a observe with an easy message: "Gone, yet no longer Forgotten. "
· the same sequence of disappearances happened in Hunter's element, ny, ten years ago--but the killer was once stuck, the case was once closed and the targeted "rose killer" activity strength was once disbanded.
· Betsy Tannenbaum, a Portland spouse and mom who has won nationwide reputation as a feminist security legal professional, is retained via multimillionaire Portland developer Martin Darius--for no obvious reason.
· Nancy Gordon, a murder detective for the Hunter's element Police division and an unique member of the "rose killer" job strength, hasn't slept a whole evening in ten years, haunted by means of nightmares of a sadistic killer who, she swears, continues to be available in the market. . .
· Alan web page, the Portland district legal professional, attempting to make experience of the unexpected sequence of disappearances, opens his entrance door one night to discover Nancy Gordon on his doorstep--determined to inform him a narrative he won't quickly forget.
· around the nation, in Washington, D. C. , the President of the USA has simply chosen usa Senator Raymond Colby to be the subsequent leader Justice of the best courtroom. In a personal assembly, Colby assures the President there are not any skeletons in his closet.
- The Stranger You Know (Forensic Instincts, Book 3)
- The Pure in Heart (Simon Serrailler, Book 2)
- In His Keeping (Slow Burn, Book 2)
- Blind Man's Alley: A Novel
- The Perfect Victim
Extra info for Dare Me: A Novel
De Sade turned. One of the smart suits stood there, the guy. “And you’d want to know because, why? ” The man smiled and produced his badge. “FBI Special Agent Davies, New York Field Office. ” De Sade knew he was on shaky ground if it came to a jurisdictional fight, serial killings often became the province of the FBI. Davies understood the situation too. ” That was encouraging, de Sade thought. So what did they really want? The second victim, Emily Johannsen had pointed them in the direction of a Russian connection.
Agent Ward mentioned it earlier. You’re suggesting that he signs his own signature to the murders, that’s quite a jump. Kind of like holding up his hand and saying ‘look, everybody, this is my handiwork’. It’s too pat, too easy. ” “Wait until you meet him, he’s an arrogant son of a bitch. He thinks he’s cleverer than all of us, he can do whatever he wants. Look at Dennis Rader, another arrogant SOB, he was undone by his arrogance. ” De Sade remembered the case. Rader couldn’t stand someone else taking his credit.
It also worked away some of the tension of the day. De Sade finished off with a hard twenty minutes on the treadmill and rinsed off the last of the day’s woes in an ice-cold shower. Then he settled in his armchair with a book and another Schneider Kristall beer. It was a book about chess, or rather about a chess player. It was time to beat Samuel Aaronssen at his own game, maybe Fischer had some tips for him. The book was entitled ‘Endgame, Bobby Fischer’s Remarkable Rise and Fall’. Supposedly it unlocked the mind of the chess wizard, what made the eccentric genius tick and more importantly, what his winning secrets were.