By Scott MacDonald
Bringing alive a amazing second in American cultural background, Scott MacDonald tells the colourful tale of the way a small, yard association within the San Francisco Bay zone emerged within the Nineteen Sixties and advanced to turn into an immense strength within the improvement of self sufficient cinema. Drawing from vast conversations with women and men the most important to Canyon Cinema, from its e-newsletter Canyon Cinemanews, and from different key assets, MacDonald deals a full of life chronicle of the existence and instances of this influential, idiosyncratic movie exhibition and distribution collective. His ebook positive factors many fundamental files which are as attractive and suitable now as they have been while initially released, together with essays, poetry, experimental writing, and drawings.
Read or Download Canyon Cinema: The Life and Times of an Independent Film Distributor PDF
Best film books
Is helping readers know the way the numerous languages of movie interact to create that means. Louis Giannetti organizes knowing videos round the key components of filmmaking, together with cinematography, Mise en Scène, stream, modifying, sound, appearing, drama, casting, tale, screenwriting, ideology, and conception.
Novelisation of Sergio Leone's Spaghetti Western "The reliable, The undesirable and the Ugly" starring Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef.
Scanned by means of me.
Instead of be thought of in isolation, this publication may be considered as a part of a common attempt to make the paintings of Jacques Rivette to be had, in each feel of the time period. this isn't to indicate that the subsequent texts and interviews are being provided as a trifling complement to his motion pictures: if the complete physique of Rivette’s paintings might be learn as a sequence of evolving reflections at the cinema, the severe paintings contained during this quantity is indissolubly associated with the severe paintings represented by means of his film-making.
The ebook covers strange and sometimes staggering parts of horror movie historical past: The harrowingly tragic lifetime of Dracula's best girl, Helen Chandler, as in detail remembered through her sister-in-law. John Barrymore's 1931 horror autos Svengali and The Mad Genius, and their rejection via the general public.
- 100 Years of European Cinema: Entertainment or Ideology?
- Conversations with Clint: Paul Nelson's Lost Interviews with Clint Eastwood, 1979-1983
- The Cinema of George A. Romero: Knight of the Living Dead (Directors' Cuts)
- Thin Film Metal-Oxides: Fundamentals and Applications in Electronics and Energy
Additional resources for Canyon Cinema: The Life and Times of an Independent Film Distributor
4. For a history of early commercial distribution, see Charles Musser, The Emergence of Cinema: The American Screen to 1907 (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1990); 30 Introduction and Benjamin Hampton’s History of the American Film Industry, from Its Beginnings to 1951 (New York: Dover, 1970). 5. ” “Independent film” has been co-opted by “low-budget” commercial filmmaking. And “alternative” is often useful, though many makers would rather see their films as valuable cultural contributions in their own right, rather than as alternatives to something else.
45. Conner had become concerned with what might happen if Canyon were to go belly-up. Would there be enough money to pay for returning the hundreds of films in its collection to their owners? If Canyon accumulated debt, who would be responsible? Might those members whose films had earned the most be considered financially responsible for the organization’s debts? Might films be seized and sold to pay off debts? Since the Canyon board could not deal with these questions to Conner’s satisfaction, he felt he had no option but to withdraw from the organization he had been so important to for so long.
Are specious and obscure and make little contribution to the exploration of the medium. . ” 13. See Cecile Starr’s comments in MacDonald, Cinema 16, 82 – 83. 14. Bob Pike, in his “A Critical Study of the West Coast Experimental Film Movement” (master’s thesis, University of California, Los Angeles, 1960), 164. I am grateful to The Most Typical Avant-Garde: History and Geography of Minor Cinemas in Los Angeles (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2005), for David James’s discussion of Pike’s activities (219– 21).